Pages

Friday, October 12, 2012

A Date With Bob Potts

Ok not really. After all I'm married and he's dead. But I will be running the marathon on May 26, 2013 afterall. Awhile back I blogged about some reasons why.

I've been spending way too much of my spare time obsessing about whether I can or should do it. The RW Quote of the Day to day was this.

"Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy." -Dale Carnegie, author and lecturer
 
That was enough to get me off the fence. I registered this evening .
 
This will be my 5th full marathon. The first (Philly 2008) was all about finishing. I did that and I will always be proud of it. Still, it was a first and it left lots of room for improvement. Even though I went into to it thinking it was going to be "one and done" I can't let it go at that.
 
#2 was day two of the Goofy Challenge. The race was mostly about running with friends and lots of family support.
 
#3 was Philly 2010. This was about conquering that event. I didn't. I was 10 minutes slower than the first time and still bonked. I was undertrained for a variety of reasons but mosty it boils down to my inability to make time for certain runs.
 
#4 was Gettysburg May 2011. I trained much better but not enough. My first marathon is still my best.
 
Despite all that, or maybe because of it, I need to do it again and try to get it right. Success will be measured in large part by not bonking; by keeping it together physically and mentally. If I train right and still miss the mark... well let's not go there. I have to believe I can do this. That's half the battle.
 
Training for this marathon starts the week of December 10. I'd like to promise that I won't dump my training highs and lows on you but that's not a promise I can keep. I use this blog to keep msyelf honest and motivated. so I hope you'll stick around and tell me what you think - good, bad or indifferent - as I do it... but I'll understand if you don't.
 
Before starting marathon training I have the Philly Half in November. 12 mile training run tomorrow. Stay tuned :)

No comments:

Post a Comment