Pages

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Back Where I Belong

Maybe the title is too dramatic but it fits my mood.

I went to Ridley Creek State Park today after work. My first hike in just over 5 weeks. I did the White Trail loop out of picnic area #9. I was going for time on my feet and nothing else. With the long layoff I had no idea what to expect. I haven't downloaded the Garmin yet - I'm not in the mood to fuss with its  crankiness - but I know by the rough numbers that my pace probably averaged 20 min miles and that is good enough for today. My energy was good and I did not feel like I was struggling to climb any of the hills.

It didn't hurt that the clouds that had been around all day were cleared out by the time I started.


Combined with my love of this park it was going to be tough to have a bad outing I think.

Winter is battling with Spring in the park. There were spots where the hillsides were fairly covered with snow and other that were not. The trail path was snow free and either soft but dry or very mushy from the melt and run off. I think that's my least favorite trail condition. Snow and ice can be tricky but the sucking nature of the mud is worse in my opinion.

It was chilly despite the sun. The temp was probably in the mid 40s when I started out. Long sleeves, and my shell kept my upper body warm. I wouldn't have minded gloves to start out but my hands warmed up quickly enough. I did wear - and need - a hat. I think the best was being able to wear my hiking pants without tights underneath. A necessary evil in the cold that I'm glad to be done with until next year.

So 4+ miles today. I'm going to try for the same tomorrow and go for long on the weekend. Thursday it's supposed to get to 69 but rain and thunder. Plus it's Easter Egg stuffing day in preparation for the Media Lions Easter Egg hunt on Saturday. So it all works out.

Until next time,
Keep smiling and Keep moving

-Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment