Pages

Sunday, February 9, 2014

#2: Learn How to Draw Donald Duck

The goal - 27 instances of Learning Something New From - OR - Trying Something New With - Someone Else. 

I just returned from the Sister Cruise to celebrate sister #3's 50th birthday. We had a wonderful time and the details that are appropriate to share I'll share in another post. While on the cruise, though, I accomplished thing #2. Here is how that happened.

On days at sea there are a variety of activities on the ship to keep everyone busy and happy. They range from wine, beer and spirit tasting, to seminars, classes and bingo to name a few. A couple of half hour sessions were devoted to learning how to draw various Disney animated characters. There was one for Mickey, Mike Wozkowski (you know Billy Crystal from Monsters, Inc.) and Donald Duck. The timing of the Donald Duck class fit in with other things we wanted to do. I said that if someone would join me it could count as one of my 27 things in the category of "trying something new with someone else". So off we went.
You begin with a blank piece of paper and a pencil
with out an eraser
Justine, our Disney cast member leader was specific of the 'no eraser' rule. This is about having fun was the jist of her message. Everyone's Donald will look different and none of them will be perfect, she informed us with a huge smile on her all of 12-year old face! :)

Next, she had us draw a circle. For the circle she gave us table numbers. The class took place in Animators Palette one of the three rotational restaurants on the  cruise. The base of the table number was a circle.

Next, she instructed us to draw to straight lines. One bisecting the circle form top to bottom more or less evenly and one bisecting it at about 3/4 of the way down from the top of the circle. For this we had not guide as we did the circle so most of the folks in the class had less than straight lines. We collectively blamed it on "The ship moved." :)

Justine then took us through drawing a series of lines and curves to produce Donald Duck. It was fascinating to see him take shape as we went one line at a time.

Here is my Donald almost finished. 

Justine and her finished Donald. 

Christine, Katie and I and the finished products. 


My final Donald with the shading added. 
This was a lot of fun. I'm not sure I could reproduce it without Justine's guidance but I think I'll try sometime just for fun.

So 2 done, 25 to go. Don't forget to message me with your ideas!

1 comment:

  1. Your Donald looks great! Glad you got to try something new, looks like you all had fun!

    ReplyDelete