Pages

Friday, December 13, 2013

2014 Challenge


In March of 2013, I began an effort to walk, hike, bike or run with at least 50 people by the end of 2013. Actually it was supposed to be 30 by the end of March but all kinds of things got in the way of that so I modified the plan. With 17 days left I have 8 more to go. I think I’ll make it - even if I have to walk the streets of Media on December 31st with random strangers!



I’ve had a lot of fun with this challenge. I got a kick out of  the number of people who thought it was cool and asked me about it. The challenge was a great ice breaker too. I set out to make sure I spent time with as many different of my fitness buddies as I could and I ended up meeting lots of new people as well.


So what can I have some fun with in 2014? The theme  “Learn Something New Everyday” keeps coming into my head. But I don’t want it to be that easy. Since I was a kid I’ve loved looking things up. Early in life, I spent hours and hours at the library and now I spend a lot of time on the Internet looking up random things. Left at “Learn Something New Everyday” by itself, I wouldn’t get the awesome interaction with others that I got from this year’s challenge.


The first modification then is this - “Learn from”  - or - “Try Something New With “- someone else.”  My friends and family (and random people) have lots to teach me or can encourage me with their company to try new things.


The second modification is to take out the “Every Day” aspect of it. Realistically, I won’t be able to accomplish something everyday. 52 is a good number. The equivalent of one thing a week but I’d allow multiple things in one week and zero in others to stay sane. And since I am 54 on Sunday why not make it 54. But that's a high number if I want these things to have some quality to them or I don't want to end up hedging with things that are only partially new so I can get to 54. So I've decided to halve that and make it 27.


A combination of 27 instances of Learning Something New From - OR - Trying Something New With - Someone Else. There do not have to be 27 someone else’s in this challenge. That might be fun but why pigeon hole my friends and family with only having one thing to share. Many of them are quite talented afterall.
 

Time to start thinking of things I’d like to learn or do. In the meantime, if you are reading this, “What would you like to teach me?” OR “What would you like me to try that you are willing to do with me”? BTW, the something to try can be new just to me or something we will try together if you like. Maybe there is something you want to try and need a buddy to hold you accountable? :)
 

I will probably draw the line at bungee jumping, zip-lining and things that involve long periods of time in an elevator or a submarine. Just so you know.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment