Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Never judge a run by the first mile (or two)

Last night I went out for a 6 mile run. When I left the house I told my husband that I was doing 3 or 6 depending on how I felt. I had bailed on the night before because it was so cold and wet. I don't mind cold and I don't mind rain but both together is more than I can handle. So finishing 6 was very important to me because if I did then missing the night before was just a blip and I really dont like running in cold wet weather. If I failed to get the 6 done then I was just a slacker. There was a lot at stake.

Yet when I left the house I had to let my brain think there was an opening to finish after 3. I'm not sure I can explain that really. It is what it is. So I set out on a 3 mile loop hoping that I would do two loops.

The first mile was horrible. My legs below the knee ached front and back. Briefly the thought of .. "Yeah I'm stopping at 3" crossed my mind. I pushed it out of the way promising to wait until the full 3 was complete before making a decision. Mile two was slightly better than mile 1. About halfway into mile 3, I finally fell into a groove. My legs were still uncomfortable, but less so and I didn't seem to mind it as much. So I rounded mile 3 and headed in to 4-6.

Tonight was a scheduled 3 miler... and I was fine. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment