Pages

Sunday, December 12, 2010

First full week of training for Gettysburg Marathon

So this week (Dec 6 - 12) was supposed to be my first full week back to training and then .. well, you know what they say about the best laid plans. That's ok though, I'm determined not to let little things (or big things if I can help it) wear away at my attitude. This week should have been

Mon - Walk
Tues - 2 miles
Wed - 3 miles
Thu - 2 miles
Fri - rest
Sat - 3 miles
Sun - 4 miles

Well on Monday I had to work a 12 hour day and didn't arrive home until after 9 PM. Bone tired. I don't want to walk at night especially that tired. So I skipped it. I also realized that I have to work Saturday and combined with the Phillyfit party Saturday evening I will not get out to run. So I redistributed my miles like this:

Mon - OFF
Tues - 2 miles  - I ran my 2 mile hilly run. In Media it's easy to run a hilly run. They are everywhere. It was very cold (low 30s') but I did well and felt great. I'd like to do that run at least once a week; either by itself or in combination with something else. It has one long slow hill and one short steep hill and the route goes up AND down both.
Wed - 3 miles.  - On the way home from work I heard it was 31 degrees out. For an instant I thought about not running. Then I remembered that my first two marathons were in similar temps. If I could last over 5 hours, then certainly I could manage the 3 miles I had planned for tonight. I did. Once I got started I was fine.
Thu - 3 miles.  - The weather was even colder tonight. 29 degrees. I thought twice about going out. Then I looked at the forecast for next week and found out it will be even colder. *Sigh* so if I bail now what am I going to do next week. So out I went. And you know what? It was ok. I did the same 3 miles as last night but in reverse.
Fri - 2 miles - still cold but in the low 30's now. Great 2 mile run. A little rebellion from my legs at the end. I think that's the first time I've run 4 days in a row.
Sat - rest
Sun - 4 miles - Today's run ended up being 5 miles at the VF loop. Sammy C and I made plans to meet there this morning at 9:00. Sammy didn't make it but since I was there I went out. It was a very windy run .. so windy that the water coming out of the fountain was blowing sideways in one gust that of course came by just when I wanted a drink. It was humid out from all the rain in the morning but it did not rain at all while I was out there... and it was 50+ degrees! :)

So I did a total of 19 miles for the week. I ran all my running days and skipped the walk day for another day of rest. That is a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment