Pages

Monday, September 21, 2009

Philadelphia Distance Run

On Sunday I ran the Philadelphia Distance Run in 2 hours, 28 minutes and 6 seconds. Given that my goal run right now is the Goofy Challenge (really two runs) I was happy with the time. I was also pleased with the way my hydration and fuel strategy seemed to work. I wish I had done better with pacing and that I had eliminated the walk over the Falls Bridge.
I had hoped to pace the first 5 miles at more than 11 but less than 12 miles per hour. Then see if I could pick up the pace slightly in the next 5 miles and finish the last 5 at the quickest pace. According to my chip times my pace for the first 5k was 10:29 and my overall pace was 11:18. I went out too fast and got slower. I have to work on this. I do not use a running watch and maybe the only way I will be able to control this is to get one.

I felt good at the end despite this 'failure' despite having run the 9 miles the day before. So mentally I like i'm making progress toward Goofy.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm..... failure is an awfully strong word for decreasing your pace instead of increasing it over the course of the race!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know!

    I struggled with the right word and it was getting late so I went with the quotes to try to soften it. Maybe I could have said, "Despite coming up short on my pacing expectations..." ????

    Thanks for following my progress and commenting on it.

    ReplyDelete