Pages

Sunday, January 5, 2020

Miscellaneous Musing Mash-Up

A compilation of things that have been rattling around my brain. The first item came to me from our hike this morning. The other two are thoughts I've started and stopped several times recently; never quite organizing enough to post. So here goes. At your own risk. 😏

On being social without the media: On our hike this morning, Julius and Dave and I talked about train travel. Specifically long distance train travel. We chatted about various things but the item that is currently on my mind is the concept of dining on the long distance trains. One of our favorite things is/was going to the dining car and being 'forced' to sit with other people. It's the rule of the long distance train dining car. When you arrive, you are seated at the next available table of 4 with whoever happened to arrive just before or after you. It sounds intimidating at first, but we have discovered that it is a rather enjoyable experience.

Unfortunately, Amtrak is phasing the dining car option out. This article explains how and why the service is being removed from some of its overnight trains; opting for packaged meals that riders can take back to their seats or their rooms. Our conversation this morning made me think that I would love to operate a restaurant with only tables of 4 and seating with others would be required. No cell phones, or other such devices allowed. Our wait staff would happily carry separate checks for each diner. Of course, I know nothing about cooking for or managing a restaurant so I need to win the lottery or something like that so I can hire that part out........... but that's just details, right?



On Belonging: This has been on my mind a lot lately. In fact, the more I think on it the more I realize it's probably something I've had on my mind (or in the back of it) for the better part of my adult life. This past year though, it has been ever-present on my mind. What does it mean to belong? One definition of belonging reads "an affinity for a place or situation". Digging deeper, a definition of affinity is "a spontaneous or natural liking or sympathy for someone or something." Psychology texts would have us believe that belonging is a basic human need - like food or shelter.

Hmmmm, so what does it mean to belong? Is it something that can be achieved? Or worked on? Or is it only a spontaneous occurrence (as the definition of affinity suggests)? Must we only be in places or situations where we 'belong'? Is it a two way street? In other words, if one feels like they belong but others in the same situation don't agree does that negate the sense of belonging one feels?

Did you ever feel like an impostor because you were in a situation where you weren't sure you belonged? Me too. Which takes me right back to where I started.. what does it mean to belong?



On the anxiety of getting older. I have never been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder. I'm grateful that (for the most part) I've been able to manage my life's anxious moments on my own. Sometimes better than other times but so far so good. As I get older - especially this past year as I approached and turned 60 - I feel like I'm slipping. I don't seem to be able to manage the anxious thoughts as easily as I used to. I find myself fearful and nervous way more often and the feelings lasting much longer.

I read an article somewhere recently that suggested working through anxiety by writing about it. The article suggested writing down what you would or could do as if you were teaching someone else how to manage the anxious moment(s). I might try that. Not here. At least not right now.

For now, I'll just Keep Smiling and Keep Moving.
-Paula


1 comment:

  1. #1 - cool idea! With all our cruising we've often been put at tables with strangers. Sometimes nothing clicked, and then there's Fred & Teresa who became good friends, and other groups we didn't keep in touch with but had fun with thru the journey.

    #2 - always - or never - depending on how the question is asked. Especially since moving home I often feel like I've missed so much over the years there's just no catching up to the level of being part of things as I'd like.

    #3 - I get anxious about all sorts of stuff - though getting old isn't really one of them. I've never felt that I'll live to super-old, so maybe that's it. And I've been pained and creaking for over a decade now so I'm just resigned to that part of it. I too, have heard that writing it down might help get it out of your head, though I've not tried it. Talking about it doesn't do much for me as my primary confidant is very much in the 'why worry' camp...

    ReplyDelete