Pages

Saturday, February 6, 2016

One mile at a time

When I ran my very first marathon, my buddies Doreen and Angie and I (all first time marathoners) took turns dedicating miles to various friends and family members. It was a trick we had heard about for making the miles pass. I recalled that memory on Tuesday when I decided to "just go for a mile" and realized I was thinking about my brother in law JL most of the way. (More on that in a sec). "So", I said to myself, "what would happen if I try to 'just go for a mile' and mindfully think of someone while I'm at it?"

So Tuesday's mile was for JL (even if it was an accident) he still deserves credit for helping me get out there. Just recently he told me he would like to run a 1/2 marathon with me. No pressure, just two people running just because. I love the idea and hope we can do it before one of us (me, likely cause I'm older) falls apart. Hence my motivation for forcing myself out of my January slump with one mile a day.

A word or two (or until I'm done.) about January slump. In the last 2-3 years, after starting off great with a New Years Day run with friends, I fall into a bout of low or no energy days. It's very frustrating and made more so when my FB memory feed reminds me that 4, 5, 6 years ago I ran 6+ miles frequently even during the week!!! Life is funny.

So back to dedicated miles. On Wednesday it was all about Dave who didn't even blink when I told him I was going out even though it was still dripping and foggy after all the rain all day and more on the way. He's always been that way.

Thursdays mile was consumed by a work issue and particularly an associates involved. I won't name names here it's not appropriate but that mile was over before I knew it. :)

Friday is date night and a designated rest day even if it is "just a mile".

On Saturday, I ran for time - 50 minutes - and thought about my friend Sara who was doing an indoor TRI today. Looking forward to hearing how that went.

On inspiration from Maggi at MPower Training, I'm also trying to do planks every day. I haven't done them yet today but so far this week (since Tuesday) I have a total of 5 minutes and 20 seconds of planks in 20 second intervals and a little over 6 miles running for the week.

Thanks for reading
Keep smiling and keep moving

Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment