Pages

Monday, July 21, 2014

Living the 9 Year Old's Dream

I started to write this yesterday but my mind sent my thoughts on a different track. Surprise, surprise.

When I was a kid I wanted and imagined adventure. I wanted to go beyond my known world. This is another reason why space travel and astronauts inspire me. But given my claustrophobic tendencies I am an earth bound adventurer. At first that meant going beyond a certain street, then a neighborhood and so on. When we moved from Havertown to Bala Cynwyd when I was 11 I would ride my bike back to Havertown partly because I missed my friends and cousins and partly because I wanted to see if I could. During car rides I would watch the hills go by just off the side of the road and think about climbing them. Just to see where I'd end up. I remember vacationing in the Poconos and wanted to head out into the woods and see how far I could get. My favorite book was "My Side of the Mountain" by Jean Craighead George.

My imagination was definitely encouraged by the space program and people walking on the moon. There seemed to be no limits to what people could do. I was not the kind of kid, though, who would announce "I'm going to do _______" and expect to be heard. It just wasn't who I was. For reasons I still don't completely understand nor do I really care anymore - I was overly shy and reserved. Sharing my personal thoughts and imagination would bring unwanted attention. Especially since I had no proof I could manage any of it. I felt I had to have the (right) answers to any questions or doubts all figured out before they were asked.

This does not surprise anyone who's been subject to my endless planning and lists. LOL

So the Super Hike is the adventure my 9 year old self wants to take. I think about that a lot on my hikes. When I'm deciding where to go or heading to the start of one I get giddy with excitement. When I start out I know there is an adventure waiting for me. Even on trails or routes I've done before. Every season is different. The people I meet are different each time. I have yet to be disappointed. Alone or in a group it's all good.

I'm still planning the hell out of training for the Super Hike but that's part of who I am now so it's ok. And it's almost as much fun as the actual training hikes. It's weird to call them training hikes. You know what "they" say - 'if you have a job that you love you'll never work a day in your life' or something like that. Well I love hiking so much that the training is not work at all. Training to run a marathon or other race was work. If it weren't for my running buddies I would have quit. Getting ready for this hike is easy peazy and does not feel like work at all.

Now if my ankle would just cooperate. :) Actually it's improving nicely. By Wednesday I should be able to test it on a level hike or walk.

Keep smiling and keep moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment