Pages

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Life is an adventure; enjoy the ride.

The photos to the left were scanned by my sister from Polaroid photos my dad took from the broadcast of the first men walking on the moon July 20, 1969. I was 9 years old. I was seriously inspired by these photos. In fact, space travel in general inspires me. What an adventure!

I am extremely claustrophobic so space travel is not in my future unless under the influence of mind numbing drugs and that kind of defeats the purpose. Yet, it still inspires me.

Astronauts study and train hard for this missions. They are exceptional in their dedication. But they are also 'just' people like you and me who had to figure out what to do. They had help, but so do most of us if we look for or ask for it.

Earlier this year, I read "An Astronauts Guide to Life on Earth" by Chris Hadfield. He's the Canadian space station commander who performed David Bowie's "Space Oddity" while on ISS. (Which is now available again on YouTube). I bought the book because I am a space nut. I enjoyed the book because it inspires me. Colonel Hadfield is only slightly different than the rest of us. He had a goal and he went for it. The path to being an astronaut was filled with bumps just like any other. Life in space was not without it's challenges either. I won't share them here. You can read the book. (I will loan it to you if you ask)

It doesn't matter what we want out of life (or if we want nothing). We'll all get there with thought and action. It won't always be easy but it never is. Even if others make it look easy or we think it looks easy for them. We aren't seeing the whole story.

At 9 years old, it was easy to be wowed by space flight and walking on the moon and think when I grow up I'm going to do things like that. At 54 it would be easy to look at Chris Hadfield (we are the same age) and think I've missed my chance to do things like that.

But I haven't. My life line is not as single directional as some might be. I've had to start over twice now. And just like you I'm still here. We should be proud of that. Keep smiling and keep moving.

Ok so this is not exactly where I thought this post was going to go when I started. Tomorrow I'll share how my 9 year old self is still motivating me today.

Thanks for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment