Pages

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Spring Teaser

Most people know that I like living where there are 4 seasons and I really don't mind any of them. Winter and Summer have their schizophrenic tendencies yes but I am content to deal with them. Even Fall and Spring - although less moody than the other two - can have their days as well. What is confusing to me is having more than one season in the same season. For the most part the Winter of 2013-2014 has been cold and snowy. If more winters would get with the program maybe people wouldn't hate this one so much. Today and tomorrow though we have a taste of Spring (high 50s and Sunny) but still a lot of snow on the ground. Silly winter.

However, I decided to take advantage of the Spring Tease to remove some of the ice from our carport/back driveway this morning. It was a spur of the moment decision. I was going to go for a walk. Then it occurred to me that if I removed as much ice from the back as I could then the warm temps and sun could work on evaporating more water instead of wasting all its energy on the ice first.

It took me the better part of 2.5 hours and although tiring this was an extremely satisfying way to spend the morning. First, I broke up the ice that was under the water and the thin layer that had reformed on top. I was able then to use a shovel to drag the chunks to higher ground. The water receded and the solids stayed put so I could chuck them by the shovel full up on top of the snow mound created from Dave's shoveling of the drive. Then I started attacking sheets of ice on the drive.


It's more impressive in person but the photo above gives you some idea of the ice I removed. The best parts where the pieces that came off in big slabs I could pick and hurl up on the snow. And even better was when the big slabs would shatter across the snow. Craaaassssshhhhh. You had to be there but trust me it was very exciting! If there is ever and Olympic ice chucking event ............. I'm so gonna sit back and watch! :)

I got to a point where I figured a break was in order. I turned to see what I had accomplished and here is what I saw ...


If you look closely you can see the reflection of the tree in my shadow. And sharing the photo is what prompted me to write this post. It's the simple things.



No comments:

Post a Comment