Pages

Monday, October 14, 2013

What's Next......

Back in June I spent 30 days trying to develop new eating habits which basically involved cutting out grains and processed foods. I did well and have more or less stuck with the concept since. I'm not perfect - nor do I want to be. Those 30 days did create a habit that has served me well through what I've decided to call the Summer of the Blerch.

Recently I broke through my mental haze on both the bike and on foot. So on Sunday, after Canadian Thanksgiving on Saturday - where all nutrition bets are always off - I embarked on a 55 day attempt at strict (er) adherence to better eating. Why 55? Why not 8 full weeks or 56 days? Because December 6th-7th is annual family cookie bake weekend and December 7th (which would have been day 56 or the end of 8 full weeks) involves breakfast at Shady Maple. Enough said? :)

In addition to strengthening my seat on the better nutrition bandwagon I am also going to take advantage of the haze breakthrough and get back into a fitness routine. It will be neat to see how the two work together. I'm not going to write a "must stick to it" fitness plan. I'm not up for that. Instead I'm going to do my best to balance trail running and biking from week to week. I will add hiking and at home body weight exercise to keep things interesting.

Weekdays will be tough with sunlight waning but I am getting a new headlamp that I can switch onto my bike helmet so I can get in some miles or minutes on foot or bike a few days a during each week. I am not the only one who likes night running and I know others who will join in which is a great for accountability.

For motivation, on November 1st I will sign up for the Tyler 10K Trail Run. It's scheduled for April 5, 2014. It's run at Tyler (duh) Arboretum right here in Media. It will be my first trail race. For cycling motivation through the winter, I have set my sights on joining at least one local cycling club for group rides starting in April.

So 2014 is shaping up to be the year of trail running and biking. I have been fearful of both in a group setting. I have to remember that very few of my fitness buddies care if I (or anyone) is slow or awkward or whatever. And I'm cyclists are the same. There is a time and a place for everyone. I used to be the first to tell everyone that.... time to start taking my own advice.

Stay tuned. Oh and I've already been tested. The hardest thing for me is controlling my sweet tooth. If I can resist I'm good but once I give in... it's a fast downhill spiral. Today at work someone dumped a humongous bowl of Halloween candy on us. It's loaded with Reese's Peanut Butter cups. I did not touch them. 2 days down; 53 to go. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment