Pages

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

26 Acts of Kindness

"It’s days like this that make it hard to keep smiling and moving. Yet somehow we must. For if we don’t the bad guys win. In the midst of our anger and disgust let’s remember to tell or show our family, friends and co-workers that we care about them. Be angry, be sad, be whatever you have to be to deal with this. Just don’t let the bad guys win. Tell somebody or a lot of somebodies that they matter."


This was my Facebook comment last Friday, after learning and trying unsuccessfully to comprehend the violence that took the lives of 20 children and 6 (or 7 depending on who does the reporting) adults. Since then I've been wondering if there is anything else I can do to make a difference. Today I heard about a movement to perform "26 Acts of Kindness" in memory of the victims of this tragedy about which I can make no sense.  This may be the outlet I need.

I am going to do this anonymously. I don't feel comfortable publicly announcing what I do because then it becomes about me and not about making a difference. I'm blogging the idea to make myself accountable (since I just told you I would do this I will) and perhaps to inspire others to take it on as well.

There are 13 days left in the year. That's 2 acts per day minimum. Let's make a difference starting now.

No comments:

Post a Comment