Pages

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Packet Pick Up and New Bike

Today is a whirlwind day. I slept until I woke up. Of course that was not as late as it could be because I COULD sleep in. Isn't that the way it goes? I caught the 9:09 train out of Media to be at the Convention Center at 9:50. The expo opened at 10 so I figured this was good timing. Well so did several hundred other folks. The line was looooooooooooooooooong. Once the doors opened it moved but unfortunately others arriving later just fed in from the main hallway which aggravated a few people who had been waiting in line much longer than me. No fisticuffs but a few choice words.
I love this mural by the escalator from
the train station to the Convention Center
I picked up my packet and looked in vain for the ACS booth to see if Roy was there. Finally I called him and found out he wasn't coming down until 1 p.m. I forgot he ran the Rothman 8k today. I never did find the booth but I got to talk to Roy "Attidue of Gratitude" Kardon anyway and that's enough to get anyone race ready!

I caught the 11:05 train back to Media and had planned to go straight to Bikesport to pick up my new bike. But, I had to pee so I went home first. The good news is that Jimmy was there picking up some mail and we were able to chat for a bit before he headed back to the city.

Ginny, at Bikesport was awesome. She helped me put together a spare tube and tookit, took my old bike for their "Pedals for Progress" collection and answered my any many questions I had. I'm sure some of them had her rolling her eyes secretly. To me thought she was very patient. We adjusted the seat and she showed me how to release the brakes to remove the tire. I had a lot of trouble with that. It's not a quick release like my old bike. I have  weak thumb on the right hand so it will take some practice for me to do this smoothly. I was able to get it back together when I got home but it was rough.

I love the bike. I want to ride but today wasn't going to work. I knew that but I decided to squeeze picking it up into my day so at least it will be here when I do have a chance. Unfortunately that looks like it will be Friday!


No comments:

Post a Comment