Saturday, August 6, 2011

MCM update

I've been considering this for a few weeks now and have all but decided after today's run that I am going to give up my entry to the Marine Corps Marathon. I will use my 24 hour rule (even though today was not a race) and not decide until tomorrow at the earliest.

I've been in a lot of pain after my runs the past few weeks. I'm fine through about 6 or 7 miles and then it hits. I don't feel tired but my feet hurt. Then it works up to my calves and by the time I hit 13 I'm ready to cry. I'm not sure what it is. It could be shoes although this pair probably only has about 200 miles on them. I may go to the running store this week and see if they have a suggestion and perhaps try one more week with new shoes. I am concerned about putting it off too long though. If I act soon I have a chance of selling my bib (MCM allows that). Will one more week make that much difference.

It would be great if it were shoes but I also have to face the fact that I'm old. My body is fighting with me these days and I'm not sure how much more time I need to come out on top.

I hate to give up and if I do it will only be on this race. I'm not ready to give up marathons completely I just have serious concerns that I can finish this one without hurting myself. Regardless I will still do my three half marathons RNR Philly (Sept 18); Ocean city (Oct 2); and Philly Half (Nov 18).

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment