Sunday, December 13, 2009

20 miles for Goofy

Today I wanted to run 20 miles. I needed a 20 miler bfore Goofy and it was either today or next week. My schedule next weekend is just too full with family and holiday celebrations. So it was today or never and never was not an option.

So despite 38 degree rain I headed out about 9:00 a.m. My plan was to do 4 five mile loops that began and ended at my house. This way I could leave my Gu and water on the porch and save the hassle of carrying it. I chose 2 of my favorite 5 mile loops and alternated them 1,2,3,4.

The first loop I found myself skipping betwee street and sidewalk to avoid icy spots. There did not seem to be much rhyme or reason to it but fortunately it was usually one of the other that was icy so I didn't have to stop and find a way around.

After the second loop, I popped in the house quickly to change the two top layers of shirts. They were soaked. I had an inkling this might be necessary so I had brought the replacements down with me in the morning and left them on the living room chair.

During the third loop the rain stengthened a bit and most of the ice had melted. It was more or less uneventful. I was pleased that my ankles, knees, hips and back were all feeling pretty good. It was strictly a brain game and I was winning!

On the fourth loop the rain let up but the puddles were so big in some places I gave up trying to find ways around them. Going through was a shock to my feet but after awhile that didn't register either. I almost tripped on one spot on Jackson Street. My toe caught an uneven slab of pavement. I didn't go down but it probably looked interesting to anyone watching me try to stay upright. I was very cold and feeling the strain by this point. So I took advantage of the random spaces of brick sidewalks to take walk breaks. There were just enough to give me a little relief... but not long enough that I stiffened up or lost my desire to run.

The picture above is of me just after I came home. Dave took it after getting me a peanut butter granloa bar; I was really hungry! He also brought me my my robe because immediately following the picture the wet clothes came off. I didn't want to go one more inch in them.

I dare anyone to tell me what a mess I look in the picture! LOL... I do, I know that but emotionally I was in great shape!

4 weeks now to Goofy. I'll still be running between now and then but my 20 miler is out of the way now.

No comments:

Post a Comment