Pages

Monday, August 8, 2022

I Will Still Donate Because I Can

For the moment (at least a couple of months) I will be donating whole blood not platelets. It's disappointing and a bit confusing so I share the details here in case any reader has a similar experience. 

It turns out my blood sample tested positive for HLA - Human Leukocyte Antigen - antibodies. According to the Red Cross information provided to me "Every individual has a unique combination of HLA on their cells. Your immune system uses HLA to identify which cells belong in your body and which do not – like bacteria and viruses. When you have an immune response, your body forms antibodies against that antigen." 

The danger is that the HLA antibodies could cause a "serious and sometimes fatal transfusion reaction called TRALI (transfusion-related acute lung injury)" in the recipient. 

The donor (in this case ME) is in no danger. The antibodies are produced by our own bodies if we have received blood transfusions in the past or been exposed to fetal blood during a pregnancy. In my case, it it is likely the latter. 

The good news  - "Antibodies are found in the plasma portion of blood, so they are present in highest quantities in plasma products, followed by platelets. Therefore, donors with anti-HLA antibodies are not eligible to donate plasma or platelets. An individual with anti-HLA antibodies can still donate whole blood or red cells because plasma is removed from these products during collection or manufacturing." I have already made my appointment for whole blood later this month. 👍

Additional (potential) good news -  The screening tests are "highly sensitive so as not to miss any true results of “reactive.” The tradeoff is that we will also see false “reactive” results." Therefore, I have also been informed that the red cross will retest my sample in a few months and if they get a negative test at that time, they will clear me to give platelets again. Unfortunately the platelets donated on Friday are already past their useful life so they will not be used. 

Keep Smiling Keep Moving (and Keep Doing What I Can) 

Don't let disappointment of not being able to do exactly what you want to do, get in the way of doing something. 

- Paula 

No comments:

Post a Comment