Pages

Friday, July 24, 2020

Pandemic Baseball

Last night Baseball returned. Sort of.

A very brave, mask wearing, Dr. Anthony Fauci threw out the first pitch to kick off a new season with new pandemic inspired rules. And, finally, after months of speculation and negotiation, in a rain shortened game, the Yankees beat the Nationals 4-1.

I've been debating whether I will watch the new season. The Phillies open their season tonight against the Marlins at Citizens Bank Park. No fans, no crying and no spitting allowed. It's not the new rules, the piped in noise, or the shortened schedule that bothered me though. It's the money grab.

My initial reaction to the announcement that a 2020 season would happen was annoyance. It's all about the money, I said. The TV revenues is what they are really after, I thought. The rules allowed players to opt out under certain conditions. And some players with big names and solid careers are doing just that. What about the little guy, I wondered? What about the ones trying to make their name and solidify their position? Do they really have a choice? It really bugged me for awhile and I know that my tiny personal boycott would not make any difference ---- except to me.

Then I realized that my indignation was hypocritical. I still go to work every day. And that's about the money, too. I need a paycheck (and a sense of purpose). I shut down like the rest of PA for a long while. And when allowed to return, I began to feel my way toward doing the things (I believe) can be done safely. For my own safety and that of others. Although I believe I am careful there is no way to know for certain that what I'm doing is enough.

Just because MLB is bigger and makes more money than me doesn't mean they should be held to a different standard. MLB shut down too. And when allowed to return they began to work their way toward returning to the field. Yes, they need the money. As do we all.

After getting over myself and my distress, I realized that the return of baseball can do a lot of good for many. Not everyone loves baseball. But for the many that do, this may be a chance to reconnect.  We can't go to the stadium and we shouldn't gather together in large groups but we can - as we've done with everything else for months now - participate together alone. And if you are a Phillies fan you know value of High Hopes.

Go Phils.

Keep Smiling Keep Moving
- Paula


No comments:

Post a Comment