Pages

Sunday, May 24, 2020

Freedom

I've been thinking about the meaning of freedom lately.

As we navigate the world according to COVID-19, the notion of Freedom seems to crop up everywhere. Many of us have lost our freedom. Freedom to come and go as we please. Freedom to eat out. Freedom to do what we want; where we want; when we want.

I agree with, and fully embrace, the logic behind quarantine. I do believe it has and will continue to save lives. Yes, staying home is a reminder of what's out there and it's scary to ponder that. The anxiety must be dealt with and that's not fun, either. But anxiety and fear were part of our lives before COVID-19 too. Maybe in varying degrees for each of us, but anxiety and fear are not new to the human condition.

When all is said and done, what's new for so many of us is not having a choice. 

BUT - when COVID-19 is over (whatever that means) I will get my freedom back. It's unlikely to be a return to life as I knew it but I will, for the most part, have the freedom to do what I want, where I want and when I want. 

One of the things I think about lately when I think about freedom - one of the things I am trying to keep reminding myself - is that I'm one of the lucky ones. I will get my freedom back. Some people won't. Some people's lives and livelihoods are being irreparably changed or damaged from COVID-19. And worse yet, some people never had the freedoms I have in the first place. 

In a recent post on Success, I concluded that success in the battle of COVID-19 (for me) is finding ways to make it less messy and less uncomfortable. My thoughts on freedom don't change that. I have battles to fight and stuff to manage during COVID-19 and my goal is still less messy and less uncomfortable. My thoughts on freedom, though, make me realize I could be a little less whiny about it.

Stay safe
Keep Smiling and Keep Moving.
-Paula 

No comments:

Post a Comment