Pages

Saturday, November 9, 2019

An Over Due Visit with the Tin Man

Today was the kind of day that perfectly explains why hiking and walking are my preferred modes of outdoor mobility. If today had been a running day I would have been super tempted to skip. Or (like this time last year) I would have gone out for the fear of falling behind in my training but I would not have enjoyed it even half as much.

I've been on the leading edge of a wave that is bringing a big fat head cold my way. Last night I went to bed feeling that the odds of making it out today was 60-40 against. I left the alarm off and decided to see what happened. I woke up early enough and decided to give it a shot in baby steps. Get dressed. Have some coffee. Fill my water pack. By then the sun was up; the sky was mostly clear; and the remains of Fall were clear and crisp and gorgeous. Despite it being only 26 degrees out I was all in. I'll need a nap later but it is totally worth it. And quite frankly I would likely have needed the nap anyway but now I'll nap with attitude and a smile! :)

I climbed Mount Misery in Valley Forge to where it joins the HorseShoe Trail. I followed the HST to Forge Road before turning around. I stopped to visit Tin Man. I haven't seen Tin Man in over year since I spent so much of last year preparing for OCNJ half. I was pleased to see that someone and brought him support for his injured left leg.


Just before Tin Man's spot on the trail I found this


Travelling west on the Horse Shoe Trail (toward Forge Road) the harp is on the right. Tin Man is on the left about 50 yards or so ahead. I asked Tin Man what this was all about. He's too good a secret keeper though. Instead, we had a pleasant chat about life and why I've been away so long. OK. I talked, he listened, and I knew he approved of my OCNJ Half finish. If you have to ask me how I know this ... well you wouldn't understand even if I told you.

Keep Smiling Keep Moving
-Paula


No comments:

Post a Comment