Pages

Saturday, May 4, 2019

Bitten by a Bite Valve

Today I ran 8 miles along Forbidden Drive.

Although not all my outings here have been great, I think it might be impossible not to feel peaceful here. And that makes up for any less than great outing. However, today was a very good one. The weather was perfect. Cloudy and the temperature were between 56-58 the entire time. I did get spritzed on in my last mile but even that could not dampen (pun intended) my spirits.

I started with a plan to go out 4 and back 4 because (in case you are not paying attention or have had too many mint juleps in anticipation of today's horse race) 4+4=8. 😋 As I passed Valley Green Inn I had the thought to go out to 4 1/2  before turning around. This would allow me to stop at the covered bridge and walk back from there to my car from there.

The extra distance out would mean a significant (relative to the rest of the path) uphill on my return. I decided it was worth it since the walk portion would allow me to take a few photos like the one at the top of this post. So I went for it.

As I mentioned earlier I had a great time today. I felt comfortable and on the return trip I even felt strong. On a scale between "plodding along" and "smooth running" I felt farther away from "plodding along" than I can ever remember. For about 5 seconds (if even that) I toyed with the idea of continuing my run/walk interval from the bridge back to my car. But I knew if I did that and failed, it would ruin my feel good. So I stuck to walking the mile back to the car.

And now for the 'are you kidding me' moment of the day. Early on in my miles, I released the bite valve on my hydration pack before getting my tongue out of the way. I didn't think it was possible but the valve 'bit' my tongue. I doubt I could do that again on purpose. Oh and yes it hurt!

Keep Smiling and Keep Moving
-Paula


No comments:

Post a Comment