Pages

Saturday, January 19, 2019

First Five Mile - on Forbidden Drive

Today I made my first attempt at 5 miles. Spoiler alert --- I did it and it went very well. If you've been following ---- thank you by the way --- you know that my goal when starting the adventure toward the 2019 Ocean City NJ Half Marathon was to get to 3 miles comfortably before February 1st. I'm so there! Mile number 3 was my best and most comfortable today. :)

As you can see by the photo, I took Perki and my hydration backpack today. I was able to get the air out of the bladder to avoid sloshing and really didn't even notice the pack on my back. I was able to drink at each walk break. This eliminates the hydration belt worries I mentioned last week. Woo hoo!

The snow on the trail gave me a brief pause before starting out this morning. I should have expected it. I was fooled by the paved surfaces being clear so I didn't bring trax for my shoes. The voices in my head reminded me that I run slow and would not be light enough on my feet to have issues. The voices were right although I was careful and aware of my footing just the same. There were only a few slick spots were more water than snow had gotten on the trail and iced over.

I probably ran more of each mile than in previous runs since my walking pace/stride was affected by the ground conditions too. This, I realized was a good thing since on race day there will be miles on the boardwalk were pace and stride will be affected by people. The race, as I recall, tries to establish a path for runners but it is not always respected especially by young children on bikes. It's all good, though.

I like running at Forbidden Drive for many reasons. The scenery of course is one and another is that I have a good feel for the location of the mile markers. I know that 1/2 is just past Bells Mills Road and 1 is just past the Covered Bridge. It's always good  to know when / where the final stretch of any long run is :) I know that 2 1/2 is just past Valley Green Inn, a frequent turn around spot. However, Mile 2 of my run was challenging because I wasn't sure where the mile 2 marker is. So I had to watch my footing and keep an eye out for the marker. I will now always remember that it is just after Maggie's dam. It turns out that is NOT the name of the dam. However, in my quick glance at the informational marker without my glasses I saw an M, an A and a couple of G's so it will forever be Maggie's dam for me now. The name of the dam is not important though. What matters is now I know that mile marker 2 is at the dam (whatever it is called). I can find it by the view. For the record, if you must know, the actual name is Magargee's Dam and marks the site of the last active mill on the Wissahickon. 

I was very proud of mile 5 today. Here is where the voices in my head formed teams for and against my finishing the mile running. Some of them wanted me to take an extra walk break at the 1/2 mile. The others reminded me that weekend long runs are all about building tolerance for the long runs. With their help I focused on my breathing. I focused on keeping it smooth and even and just letting my legs keep moving. I'm please to say the 'for' team won. I finished the final mile running.

That wraps up this set of three weekends. I'll run 2.5 on Tues and Thurs this week and go hiking next weekend!! :) Sweet rewards.

Keep Moving Keep Smiling
-Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment