Pages

Friday, October 26, 2018

For Pete - Between Opportunities

One day - years ago -  at a family gathering my sister's husband, Pete, who had just retired, told the youngsters that he was "between opportunities". There was something in the way he said it that made them giggle (which was his intention) and to this day it is what they think of when his name is mentioned.

On Tuesday, Pete died. Today was his funeral. I'm fairly certain that for Pete, this week was a time between opportunities. Today friends and family gathered to help my sister see him off to whatever comes next. After the mass, we gathered at the Flemington Diner. Pete loved diner food and this was one of his go-to places. Having been informed that a burger and fries was his favorite meal when he ate there, most of us ordered that.


I just returned from a run. Today's mile was dedicated to Pete. You see my plan is to run my full distance on the weekend and half of that distance twice during the week. Friday is usually a day off. But I missed my run yesterday because I worked late. Tomorrow it is going to rain buckets and then some. So today I ran "between (regular) opportunities".

Keep smiling keep moving
- Paula

2 comments: