Pages

Saturday, October 5, 2024

Thing 1 and Thing 2

Today I learned two new things. Well, one of them I learned a few days ago, but I learned it because of what we were doing today. 

Thing #1 - Ridley Park has a lake. We calculated today that I've lived in Delaware County all but 5 years of my life. Yet, I did not know that Ridley Park has a lake. I am a tad embarrassed. This feels like something I should have known. 😞

I discovered this due to our blood donation today. We had appointments at Ridley Park Presbyterian Church. Hiking was off the table then so I went looking for a route to take a post donation walk instead. I located the church on Google maps and there it was -- Ridley Park Lake. Who knew? As already established I did not. 

The lake was built with the founding of Ridley Park in the 1870s. The borough was the brainchild of Isaac Hinkley, president of the  Philadelphia, Wilmington and Baltimore Railroad. Mr. Hinckley hired architect Robert Morris Copeland to design the town. The design included the 20 acre man made lake. 

There is a walking path around the lake. On the path you'll pass two original buildings, a pumphouse built in 1890 and a boathouse built in 1935. There are lots of benches including what appears to be original ones made of stone. Similar to many of the towns built on or near rail lines in this area, Ridley Park was a summer resort destination for wealthy Philadelphia. 

If you'd like to learn more here is the Wikipedia entry and a history page from the borough

BTW, in case you are wondering (we were), the creek that feeds the lake is Crum Creek not Ridley Creek. 

On our walk, we encountered people walking, fishing and meeting in the park. It was lovely. 

Thing #2 - Veins have valves. My donation experience was going very well. Michelle, the phlebotomist was pleasant and kind. The needle stick was amazing. I felt nothing beyond the initial prick and there was no pressure while it was in. Strangely though I could feel vibration in the tube which was draped over my forearm. I never felt that before. It felt funny but not concerning. Michelle, however was concerned. 

The  blood flow was very slow. In fact, as she watched she was confused that it would flow fine one second and slow down the next. She calmly called for help. I wasn't worried. I just chalked it up to my notoriously low blood pressure. Every time I donate, the check in person asks "Is it always this low?"

The senior phlebotomist looked everything over and said, "I'd like to move the needle a little bit. Ok?" I reluctantly said ok. The last time they tried to move a needle while I was donating, it hurt A LOT. But I figured it was either let her move it or the donation attempt would likely be stopped short. Fortunately, she was equally good with a needle. Although I braced for pain I didn't feel a thing. And with the move, the vibration stopped and the flow returned to steadily normal. 

That's when I learned that veins have valves. The original placement of the needle was too close to a valve. As best as I could understand the opening and closing of the valve was causing the blood to flow over the needle. This caused the vibration and the blood to miss the needle opening off and on. Senior blood taker said she could feel the vibration in the tube and that's how she knew. 

And in case you were wondering (I was) the valves keep the blood flowing in the right direction. Makes perfect sense. I just never had reason to think about it before. 

So there you have it. Thing 1 and Thing 2. 

No comments:

Post a Comment